Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Static Dust Pan

I do not mind sweeping the floor. But my least favorite part of the whole task is getting the dirt into the dustpan.

Ultimately it's just rather difficult to get the dust to reliably go into the pan.

Looking at the dust pan it is something that has not really changed much in the time since I have been born. There has to be room for improvement. Below is my take on a possible way to improve this old tool.

Dirt and things like pet hair tends to be attracted to things that are statically charged. It would be possible to create a metal dustpan that could be charged by a device in the handle. The device would be battery powered and would statically charge the metal of the pan (there are a number of ways to create a device), but I will not go into technical details. Hair and dust being pushed into the pan would naturally want to stick in it.

When dumping dirt into the garbage the device could then discharge the pan allowing the refuse to fall into the garbage.

Ultimately there is not much to this idea. Its simply a straight forward take on possibly reforming and improving an old standard of cleaning.

2 comments:

  1. Does the device in the handle generate static electricity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I will edit the post to make that more clear.

    ReplyDelete

Have comments about my ideas? If you see something wrong with them, leave a comment. I'll try to comment back. If you have seen these ideas implemented/mentioned somewhere before, leave a comment. I like to think I am 'original' but that doesn't mean somebody has not beaten me to the punch. Finally, if you just have something to say, well comment that as well.