Monday, July 19, 2010

DVR Profiles

My family has a digital 'cable' service that includes a Digital Video Recorder.

The problem though, is that the recorder has a limited capacity. When the DVR becomes filled it begins to delete old stuff automatically to make room for new items.

Of course this can cause strife in the family if it is felt that certain family members have recorded a large amount of things that they are not watching.

A solution to this could be to allow for recording profiles. Each profile would be for one member of the family and would be given a percentage of the DVR's hard drive.

This way one person would be unable to take up the whole DVR. It would also discourage the 'recording but then not watching' that even I am guilty of.

The only real issue is how to select which profile something would be recorded under. Ultimately this would likely need new buttons on the remote to not be cumbersome.

2 comments:

  1. I think Netflix should enable multiple profiles within one account, for more accurate recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I have to imagine a large number of families or couples use Netflix. Such account holders are likely to have multiple different opinions regarding films and could give a differing number of stars.

    ReplyDelete

Have comments about my ideas? If you see something wrong with them, leave a comment. I'll try to comment back. If you have seen these ideas implemented/mentioned somewhere before, leave a comment. I like to think I am 'original' but that doesn't mean somebody has not beaten me to the punch. Finally, if you just have something to say, well comment that as well.